birding-aus

habitat

To: <>
Subject: habitat
From: "Greg Pyers" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:28:42 +1000
Hello all.

As the 7.30 report pointed out, habitat loss is a bird-killer indeed, but
what about habitat creation?
Where habitat is concerned, Australia is still in a colonial frame of mind.
When people buy their 5-acres, it seems that the planting of a row of
golden cypresses is mandatory, with perhaps a plane tree or two. In my
town, pansies and instant turf decorate a roundabout at the bottom of the
street, despite the rich diversity of local flora that could be on display.
In fact, not a single local shrub, groundcover, herb or tree is included in
the council's plantings, even though many of these are  threatened by a
galloping weed invasion. The town's lake is vegetated with a motley
collection of exotics (including noxious species) and non-local natives.
Several mallards, in residence for several years now, add to the effect.
Recently, six caruncular muscovies were added.

I like to think that this state of affairs can be attributed more to
ignorance than to apathy, and so I do my best to inform.

On the positive side, the local council is soon to appoint a
Landcare/Environment officer, and a roadside conservation strategy is to be
presented for public comment.

Greg Pyers
Daylesford