birding-aus

Birdcalls and MP3 -Sonograns etc

To: <>
Subject: Birdcalls and MP3 -Sonograns etc
From: "Dennis Hill" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:35:57 +1000
Just a briefobservation on MP3.
Yes it is a "lossy" (should that be lousy" compression system that deletes some of the data collected by the microphone/signal source but that wouldbe of little concequence for identification of calls in the field. For lab. analysis of a call then something much better is required!
As we are listening to things in the field then would be fine. If one considers the advantages of the format and associated hardware versus the slightly lower quality, which is most probably better than a cheap cassette player anyway, then I will go for MP3 any day.
Add to this the fact that sound samples of the expected birds in a survey area can be loaded at home for later use (less info to wade through in the field. You most probably will not hear Desert dwellers on the East Coast.) Size abd weight are also a consideration and MP3 players are small!
Well, that's my 2 bob's worth on the subject anyway!
Good watching,
Dennis.
Dennis and Annette Hill.
Pappinbarra Research Centre