birding-aus

Bendigo Wood ducks

To: "" <>
Subject: Bendigo Wood ducks
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:01:20 +1000
Hi all

I don't know whether anyone can help me with this, but my parents have
noticed a sudden decrease in numbers of Wood ducks in the vicinity of South
Lockwood, which is south west of Bendigo in Victoria.  Others in the
vicinity have also noticed this.

In previous years they could rely on a flock of around 20 birds visiting the
farm dam on a regular basis.  However, this year there have been no more
than two.

All the locals have their own theories about what is happening, ranging from
reasonable (climatic etc. - this year is a little wetter after five years of
dry), to downright conspiratorial.

Have any birdos (particularly atlassers etc.) in the Bendigo district
noticed this as well, and if so, do you have any theories of your own?

Feel free to reply to this email address rather than posting if you
prefer...

Bill