birding-aus

Fraser's Hill, West Malaysia

Subject: Fraser's Hill, West Malaysia
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:49:35 +1000
While working in Malaysia at the end of September, I had the opportunity to spend another weekend at Bukit Fraser or Fraser's Hill. I had hoped to pick up a few migrants at this time, but this was not to be. I spent only a short time at The Gap because it was noisy - of this, more later. I spent most of the time at Bukit Fraser going around the Telekom Loop, but saw nothing of great interest. The best birds were the Slaty-backed Forktails seen at the bottom of the pile of garbage at the Tip area, a beautiful bird in inappropriate surroundings.

The Tip itself has been transformed into a construction zone for the building of a new water treatment plant just down the road to the waterfall. They have cleared the whole upper area which used to be good for thrushes and flycatchers and put down huts and a concrete mixing plant. The Tip itself has had a lot of soil dumped with the garbage and because the garbage is now covered, has lost its reputation as the worst smell you are ever likely to experience. The steep face of the Tip looks quite unstable and looking over at the Forktails below could be your last act. There is a lot of noise, 7 days per week.

Similarly, the workers are back on the "new" road and therefore this 1998 failed construction site, which used to have good birding near both the top and bottom ends has to be wiped off the slate. The "new" road is apparently going to open at the end of this year.

If you are planning a trip to Fraser's Hill, I suggest you delay until later in 2001.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you require more detail

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia