birding-aus

Mulu National Park, Sarawak, East Malaysia

Subject: Mulu National Park, Sarawak, East Malaysia
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:51:41 +1000
I had a couple of days in early October at Mulu National Park in Sarawak, East Malaysia. I flew in from Miri and the RM 148 (AUD 74) fare is worth every penny, because of the spectacular approach by the Twin Otter to the Mulu airstrip.

I stayed at the Royal Mulu Resort but would not recommend it because of the high cost (RM 160 for bed and breakfast) and the 3-km walk from the National Park headquarters. (You can arrange to be driven to the park for RM 2 each way). More convenient but less luxurious is the accommodation at the Park Headquarters itself.

Bransbury in "A Birdwatcher's Guide to Malaysia", claims that Mulu is "one of the best birding destinations in Malaysia" but I must have been there on a couple of bad days. Apart from birding around the Resort, I spent about 6 hours on the walk to Deer Cave, two hours on the walk to Clearwater Cave and about an hour on the track to Gunung Mulu.

I saw Sunda Whistling Thrush, Black Magpie, Black-thighed Falconet, 3 Bathawks, Slender-billed Crow, Drongo Cuckoo and Changeable Hawk Eagle among a total of 26 species over the two days. I heard some Hornbills but saw no Pittas. There were many magnificent butterflies.

I also managed to be bitten on various parts of my body by many mites or sandflies despite lashings of repellent.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you require more detail

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia