birding-aus

Australian Birding

To: Lawrie Conole <>
Subject: Australian Birding
From: allan benson <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 08:19:10 -0700
> As I understand it, Andrew Isles currently 'owns' the Australian Birding name
> - but due to its commercial unviability, he's quite open to offloading it to
> anyone who might want it.
>
> It is an interesting point on how to make an on line "Australian Birding"
> commercially vaiable.

Bearing in mind I have little idea of the costs or time involved, it
seems to me that you need an editorial person (team) and a web page
person (team) ie one to organsie the stories and one do the production.
I would see the on line mag running still in a 4 issues a year format.

To make it viable commercially they could look at some of the
suggestions below.

1/ Make it part of an existing commercial web page, such as Andrew Isles
page for example. The benefit to the owner is that his product gets
advertised every time somebody accesses Australian Birding

2/ Have an online subscribing system ie you pay by credit card to access
the site. I have no experience with such a system but I'm sure they
exist. Again it would seem logical to add this on to a site where credit
cards are already used ie like Andrew Isle's site.

3/ Take advertising as per any magazine and most websites.

4/  Sell the email addresses of the online subscribers to other
commercial interests. I would have no objection to receive advertising
as long as it was birding related. This would be a very cost effective
way for somebody like Phil Maher, for example to advertise his trips or
Zweiss to advertise their latest product, as it is a very targeted
audience.

Tony Palliser certainly has the skill to do the website side of things
and run it on his website. I maintain that Tony's site is one of the
best I've even seen in terms of layout and ease of use. Now he has
switched to Bigpond the site downloads very quickly. Whether Tony has
the time is another question entirely and as I said before I have no
idea of costs.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia