birding-aus

Australian Birding

To: Paul Taylor <>
Subject: Australian Birding
From: allan benson <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:29:12 -0700
Paul Taylor wrote:

> [snip]
> > I think failure for Austalain Birding to remain viable vindicates the
> > decision of Birds Australia to position itself more broadly as a
> > "conservative" conservation based organisation.
> [snip]
>
> Certainly, Birds Australia's "Wingspan" has improved greatly since
> it moved to the full colour, content rich format (possibly in response
> to BOCA's move to colour, but more likely due to the reduced cost of
> colour publishing.)  However, I don't think it or any other magazine
> is "responsible" for Australian Birding's demise.
> ticked.

>Paul,

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. In fact I was not
suggesting Wingspan was responsible for the demise of Australian
Birding- what I was suggesting is that Wingspan has a much broader
appeal because Birds Australia has taken it down the conservation route.
What I was trying to say is that narrow interest birding mags have a
limited audience.

In fact I agree with Lawrie Conole comment's that Wingspan is very light
weight which is part of the reason I'm so disappointed that Australia
Birding will no longer be with us.

Thanks to Andrew Stafford for reminding me of David Andrew's role in
Australia Birding. It is easy to lose track of the history. Along with
Andrew I hope the mag can go online.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia