birding-aus

Pallid Cuckoo behaviour

To: birding aus <>, Cog line <>
Subject: Pallid Cuckoo behaviour
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:31:15 +1000
Last week, in the Whipstick Forest north of Bendigo, central Victoria,
we were attracted to an immature (1st year) Pallid cuckoo by an
extraordinary harsh call, rather like the 'shaaah' of a rifle bird. It
was sitting out in the open, and while we watched it was approached and
fed by an adult Pallid! This happened three times, though we couldn't
see what it was being fed.

THis was a newie on me, though HANZAB has a few references to it. Any
thoughts as to why? Could the adult recognise its chick after it's been
reared by someone else? Any chance it reared its own? And if NOT its
own... All too hard for me!

cheers

Ian
--

Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy