birding-aus

Snowy River - again

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Snowy River - again
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:47:46 +0930
Further on this subject I received the following press release this morning:

NSW-Vic due to announce Snowy River flows decision
  Friday 6 October, 2000
  10:02 AM AEDT

The Victorian and News South Wales Premiers will meet in Jindabyne today to announce money to restore 21 per cent flows to the Snowy River.

Premiers Steve Bracks and Bob Carr are expected to announce $300 million to repair inefficient irrigations systems.

Water savings would be diverted to the Snowy River to bring flows up to 21 per cent.

The deal is a compromise, but it is believed the Snowy River Alliance will be happy with the decision.

Gippsland East Independent Craig Ingram has been pushing for a 28 per cent increase but it is tipped he will also settle for the compromise deal.

The proposal still has to gain the approval of the Federal Government before proceeding.

Reaction

The agreement has won the support of the Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF).

However, the ACF's Tim Fisher says the environmental movement will be monitoring authorities to ensure the flow increases as soon as possible.

"We'll have to be vigilant to ensure that things can come into place very quickly indeed," he said.

"We're confident that we can get that done largely within a few years."

The director of the Total Environment Centre in Sydney Geoff Angel says the Snowy River deal will have positive environmental impacts on other regions of New South Wales and Victoria.

"The hydro and irrigation scheme itself was an inefficient engineering solution," he said.

"By making everything more efficient we end up making irrigation more sustainable and we also obtain through that process water that we can return back to the Snowy.

"A very significant part of this decision is not only about saving the Snowy but making the irrigation districts more efficient users of water, and that has associated important environmental benefits."

Cheers

Peter Waanders