birding-aus

Iron Range - travel times Weipa to IR

To: "BirdingAus" <>
Subject: Iron Range - travel times Weipa to IR
From: "Judith Hoyle" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:38:59 +1000
Dear Birding Ausers

Have had some feedback  from a couple of birders and the Weipa car hire company on travel times between the sites.  The car hire person drives the Weipa-Chilli Beach Road regularly and says it takes her 5 and a half hours.  Bob Cook told me that it took them 4 hours to get from the Archer River Road House into IR.  Clare Blackman, one of the Rangers, told me today that Frenchman's Road is about 3 hours quicker than the alternative route  and is very scenic, but I am not sure if this is the route that Bob took. To be on the safe side we will be leaving Weipa a tad bit earlier!!  Thanks for the advice.

I also need to correct the impression that we were paying $250 per person per day for the accommodation.  It is $250 per person per week!

Regards

Judith Hoyle

ps the Black-winged Monarch's have arrived - one bird that we thought we would be too early to see!