birding-aus

Blackbirds versus Brush Turkeys

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Blackbirds versus Brush Turkeys
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:49:13 +1000
Hi all,
I realize that keen gardeners have a problem with Brush Turkeys, but I
would love to have Brush Turkeys in my garden.
I have only known one Brush Turkey personally.  I used to help look
after it as part of my part-time job caring for animals in a reserve.  I
became very fond of that bird.  In the mornings when I arrived at work,
I would often find that the bird had flown over the fence and was
waiting at the gate to be let back in and be fed.  It would not fly back
in, but would hurry through the gate after I unlocked it and follow me
down to the feed shed for its mixed seeds and grains.  It had definite
food preferences, and would always eat in the same order, then leave its
least favoured seeds for the waiting Purple Swamphens.  Sometimes I
wouldn't see the bird for a few days, and would get a bit worried about
it, but then it would turn up again.  Once, however, it didn't come
back, and some workmen found it dead.  That was a very sad day.  I
think the bird was about 20 years old when it died.
BTW, as a resident of suburban Melbourne, I do have blackbirds in my
garden.
Cheers,
Merrilyn.