birding-aus

Update Western Qld.

To: <>
Subject: Update Western Qld.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:53:54 +0930
It's a lot hotter out here now with very hot and strong westerlies blowing for the last week,which is typical weather for this time of year.
Unfortunately there have been a few casualties caused by the hot winds.Quite a few of the White-plumed honeyeaters nests have been blown down, some with chicks and some with eggs.The baby Pardalotes have died.I saw what I thought was a bit of straw sticking out of the hole and went over only to discover it was a leg of one chick and then found another. I can only presume that it got far too hot for them as there were no marks of any kind on either one.However, as the adult is still flying in and out of the hole I presume that she has laid again, or, would there be surviving chicks left?
The Mallee Ringnecks have hatched and two of them are now sitting out on the limb of the gum tree, being fed by the parents.
Late yesterday afternoon over in the cottage garden a male and female Pied Honeyeater landed on the fence and as I moved hoses both hopped along the fence in front of me, no more than 2 metres away all the time.
We have quite a few Restless Flycatchers nesting in the melaleucas around the house[isn't Restless an appropriate adjective?] and 2 of them are a loy more protective than others, a bit of a peck on the head several times and you never forget your hat!
Two Grey Falcons were seen by Reg and Jill Oakley in August and one by Alan and Dumell McDonald last week.This was very interesting to Ian as he'd seen them for years but could never identify them as we didn't have any good illustrations, and it was in early August that our son and another chap were mustering and came home and told us about these falcons that they couldn't identify but said they were a bit like the one in the illustration we had. We've found out since that the illustration is of a juvenile.The sequel to this is that our son saw one yesterday leave a nest which was very high up in a Bloodwood tree, but in a very different location.
The Fairy Martins are driving me crazy with their nests under the eaves of the house and in the woolshed. The mud in the nests takes the paint off wherever it's attached. I'm wondering if it's the weight of the nest or something that they do to the mud.
I watched a Spotted Bower bird have a lovely bath under one of my garden sprinklers early one morning, he must have been really enjoying it as he came back again and again, no doubt in between snacking on the mulberries or tomatoes.
At the moment all the acacias are in full bloom and for as far as you can see they look like pale yellow fairy floss trees, and interspersed with the dark green of the Wilgas, the orangey tinge of the cypress pines[they're all about to disperse their pollen] and the varying shades of grey-green of all our other Western timbers, the sight is quite spectacular.Not for hay fever sufferers!
I haven't heard the Brolgas for a week now, I've noticed that we hear them a lot more in the cooler weather, but the Kookaburras are still letting us know what time it is, although it's getting later with the lengthening of the days.
Cheers,
Julie McLaren.

"Bowra,"
Cunnamulla.Qld.4490