birding-aus

Honeyeaters and exotic blossoms.

To: "John McLaren" <>, <>, "Max O'Sullivan" <>
Subject: Honeyeaters and exotic blossoms.
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:22:45 +1000
Can't let it pass.  Fact.  Paulownias are causing concern with their
potential as environmental weeds. Why jump to the conclusion that seeds are
the problem? Paulownia can sucker like mad. This is a serious enough
possibility for state departments concerned with natural resource management
to have a look at the dangers of paulownia. It is true that they are being
widely grown in plantations, but they will not replace hardwoods. Some
regard the sudden enthusiasm for these trees as the product of clever
marketing. The timber of the Paulownia is much like balsa wood. Soft and
"perishable".  Probably okay for throw away chopsticks.

Camphor laurels benign?  Perhaps you're not from Queensland.  Very large
stretches of lowland creek systems here in SEQ have been almost exclusively
colonised by Camphor laurel, and they most assuredly do exclude other
plants, including the native lauraceae which once grew in lowland riparian
forests.  Other plants do not grow as well under Camphor laurel as they
would under other large trees.  Fact.  The exclusion of other plants is, as
you pointed out, due to competition for water.  The heavy shade cast by C.L.
is also an important mechanism.  But, chemicals also work to exclude
colonisation by other plants.  Leaves, twigs, bark and wood of C.L. contain
turpenes, chemical substances which most certainly do inhibit the growth of
other plants. These same substances are also found in things like pine bark,
which is why this stunts the growth of small garden plants if it is used
fresh, before the turpenes have had a chance to be leached away or break
down.  The oils contained in any of the plants you mentioned do not require
distillation for them to be released.  The Blue Mountains are proof of that.
The blue hue in the air from which the Blue Mountains take their name from
the turpenes released (naturally) by the eucalypts growing in the forests of
the Blue Mountains.  Likewise, any of the other plants you mention release
at least some of their volatile oils without distillation.  It doesn't fall
from the sky like rain, but it is released nonetheless.

It is time that people on this list realised the seriousness of the problem
of "ferals".  This is not some minor issue.  Translocated plants and animals
are causing damage on a great scale.  They are now reckoned to be second to
land clearing/conversion for the destruction of biodiversity.  At its worst,
we have a process of biological homogenisation occurring.  Ask New Zealand.
They now have more exotic plant species growing in the wild than native.
Hawai'I has similar, possibly more serious problems.  Go there, and you'll
have to work very hard to see more native birds than naturalised imports.
Have a look at the destruction of riparian forests in north Queensland by
rubber vine, which was brought here as an ornamental.  If people are "bored"
with these issues, and stop acting on them, then I fear for our birds, and
all other wildlife.  I could say a lot more about bioinvasions, but I'll cut
it off here.

Scott O'Keeffe