birding-aus

Honeyeaters and exotic blossoms.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Honeyeaters and exotic blossoms.
From: "Max O'Sullivan" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:21:44 +1000
After a report last week by Russell Watts about Regent Honeyeaters and mirrors at Barraba (NSW), I made a side trip there last weekend to see if I could locate the birds.

I was directed to the local caravan park where the birds have been coming in to feed on blossoming Paulonias trees.

Whilst I missed the Regents, there were three birds there on Saturday it seems but none later when I visited on Saturday and Monday.

The interesting observation I made whilst waiting was to watch a pair of Blue-faced Honeyeaters "attack" the base of the bunches of downturned trumpet flowers on this tree whilst a pair of Spiny-cheeked h/e went in "head first" from the trumpet of the bloom.

Is this correct? My deduction was that the Blue-faced were much stronger birds and with a larger head would find the piercing of the base much easier than direct entry whilst the Spiny-cheeked coud fit their head into the flower itself and hence save themselves the effort of piercing the base of the bloom.

Any comments from birding-aussers who may have observed this?