birding-aus

Michael Reply

To: David Siems <>
Subject: Michael Reply
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:10:31 +1000
Hi All,

 When I was assisting with atlassing in 1987-88 along the NSW
border with SA, we received this from a "landowner". "I don't want you
finding any rare birds on my property as I don't want hassles with the NSW
National Parks wanting to take some of my property."  Michael this maybe one
reason why they refuse you entry.

David's message reignited an unhappy memory for me. In early 1998
when I had to choose suitable sites for a study of fragmented
eucalypt woodlands, and how birds use them, I encountered a similar
response from a landowner.

It was near Woodford, SEQld, that I found a gem of a little patch,
and approached the landowner. He sounded quite panicked by the notion
that birdwatchers would be evaluating his land. Despite my explaining
that we had no intention of interfering in his business, and only
wanted monthly access to conduct a study, he said that he wouldn't
have any "greenies" on his land, and besides, he was planning to
bulldoze the patch the following year. He was clearly afraid of being
told that he could not use the land however he wished, and quoted a
case of a friend in another shire who had suffered such a situation
on his land. I have wondered ever since whether my approach
contributed to the destruction of the patch, and haven't had the
heart to go back and see what came of it.

Queensland is notorious for the attitude of "I'll do what I like on
my land" and unfortunately also drags responsible landowners into
disrepute.  No need to get into the debate over proposed Qld land
clearing legislation - we all know how unsuccessful that has been,
and what premeditated destruction it has sparked. I'm not claiming to
be a paragon of virtue myself, but I'm always trying to do things
better. I really despair for this land that I love.

Jill
--
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld