birding-aus

Raptor ID RFI

Subject: Raptor ID RFI
From: kim Sterelny <>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:25:33 +1100
RFI raptor ID

Jochen Brocks and I were birding Campbell Park, Canberra, on Sunday (today)
when we noticed a raptor soaring above us, one we could not ID. The raptor
was

(i) medium sized; roughly the size of a black kite or brahminy kite.

(ii) It was a uniform pale grey seen from below, including the head, except
for very distinct, and strongly contrasting black at the very tips of its
wings. But only the very tips.

(iii) the wings were broad rather than sharply pointed like a falcon

(iiv) the tail was fanned, and wedge-shaped; rather like the shape of the
sea-eagle tail as given in Pizzey and Knight on p142.

Consulting Pizzey and Knight, which we had with us, the nearest we could
see was the grey goshawk. But the wing tips contrasted more strongly black,
and the tail was defintely fanned rather than the longish, straight and
narrow tail illustrated in Pizzey and Knight.

Any advice or suggestions?

ps: for canberra birders, there are still blue-billed duck at the Fyshwick
sewage ponds off dairy road; we saw at least two pair. And in the wetlands
on the other side of the road there were two pink-eared duck.

Kim
Kim Sterelny
Philosophy Program
RSSS, ANU and
Philosophy Department
Victoria University Wellington

ANU Contact Information

hard mail
Philosophy Program
Research School of the Social Sciences
Australian National University
0200 Canberra, ACT, Australia

e-mail

phone

61- (0)2 6249-2886
messages: Di Crosse: Administrator, Philosophy Program 61 (0)2 6249 2341
fax 61- (0)2 6249 3294