birding-aus

Oriental Plovers

To: <>, <>
Subject: Oriental Plovers
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:12:25 +1000
> I m investigating the movements and distribution of Oriental Plover from
> Mongolia to New Zealand. Any information about status, sightings, plumage
> etc is welcome.

Please see also the following reference.

Tim
______________________________________

Internationally significant numbers of oriental plover and oriental pratincole
at ephemeral inland wetlands of the Northern Territory, Australia, by
Jaensch-R, in The Stilt : bulletin of the Australasian Wader Studies Group of
the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.: Apr 1994, no 24: 12-13.

Large portions of the populations of oriental plover, Charadrius veredus, and
oriental pratincole, Glareola maldivarum in the East Asian-Australasian flyway
occur in northern Australia during the non-breeding period. During 1993 an
inventory of wetlands of the sub-humid tropics of the Northern Territory was
conducted to obtain information on waterbirds, especially use of the wetlands
by migrant shorebirds. The surveys confirmed that lakes Woods, Sylvester and De
Burgh in the Territory are of international importance for shorebirds,
particularly oriental plover and/or oriental pratincole. These ephemeral lakes
are key components of a network of wetlands across inland northern Australia
used by shorebirds. (Au)