birding-aus

The price of the Morcombe field guide

To: <>, <>
Subject: The price of the Morcombe field guide
From: "J G KROHN" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 20:22:07 +1000
I picked up a copy of the Morcombe guide at Angus & Robertson, Forest Hill
(Melbourne eastern suburbs) for $29.95 on Friday (Father's Day gift for Dad;
I received a birthday copy for myself a couple of weeks back).  As a
non-professional birdo - except, I suppose, one day a year on the
Twitchathon - I think it looks a very handy complement to my Pizzey and
Knight.  I think he has caught the jizz of those species that I'm familiar
with quite effectively, and personally I like the use of pointers with the
illustrations to highlight ID features.  I also like his willingness to use
poses that depart from some of the common conventions for bird illustrations
(eg some of the "face-on" pictures).  Certainly there are a few errors
scattered through the book, as I guess is almost inevitable with a first
issue of something as packed with facts as a field-guide.  On the whole,
however, I reckon it's a useful addition to the literature and I'll be happy
to have it in the car or even, sometimes, the back-pack.

Hope as many of you as possible are assembling Twitchathon teams for the big
day.  Regards to all.

    Jack