birding-aus

Qld land clearing controls

Subject: Qld land clearing controls
From: Jeff Crocombe <>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:37:13 +1000
I'm afraid I disagree with your recent post regarding land-clearing,
politics & birding-aus. Land-clearing is an issue which affects
everyone- all Australians & indeed the global community. I am at this
point in time ashamed to call myself a Queenslander (that's where my
loyalties lie, even though I'm currently in Ballarat, Victoria), given
the massive land-clearance currently taking place up there. The current
dispute between the QLD state government & the federal government is a
disgrace & it's shameful that politics is taking precedence over the
environment (I am well aware that is nothing new...). From your
statements one could draw the conclusion that only rural landowners
should have a say in these issues. This is ludicrous when clearing
affects each of us both directly & indirectly. The world is a poorer
place with the loss of even one species of animal or plant.
Given this- and especially because of the effects of land-clearing on
bird life (why are we replanting Ironbark forest in Vic? To help the
Regent Honeyeater as one example.), I feel it is entirely appropriate
that such a post appear on this list. Each of us then has a choice- to
respond or not, to the information given. You also have the option of
responding with letters etc. in favour of the opposing point of view,
should you so desire.
Your conservation efforts may be applauded, however it is ridiculous to
expect me to believe that every rural land-owner is as responsible as
you are. Many land-owners, through ignorance, a difference of opinion or
wilful disregard for the environment, practice very destructive farming
methods- witness the salinity problems present in the Murray-Darling
drainage basin & in the WA wheat belts; an estimated 6.25 million acres
effected by salinity. With some estimates placing land-clearing in QLD
at 840,000 acres a year- one of the highest in the world, I fail to see
how I as an Australian who wants a future for myself & my children,
should remain silent on such an issue.

Jeff Crocombe:  http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~jcrocombe

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark
to read.