birding-aus

Disclosure of sensitive sites

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Disclosure of sensitive sites
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 08:59:03 -0700
Hello all,

David Geering makes a good and important point in regard to disclosure of exact details of sites for rare and endangered/vulnerable bird species.
It is very important to remember that a lot of these birds will be on privately owned land.
When this is the case we all must respect the rights of the owner of the land.

For this reason when people are reporting their sightings it might be a good idea to advise if the bird was seen on or from private land.
And also to advise of any restrictions and/or procedures pertaining to access to that land.
The birds may not be owned by the land-owner but the land is.

Remember, a lot of gazetted roads in remote areas pass through land that is either freehold or leased and is therefore, in my mind, private land.
These roads are 'public' land as is a small area either side. When there is a fence anything on the other side should be considered 'private'.
I don't condone being on private land without permission but I see nothing wrong with observing from public land and encouraging others to follow up my observations within the same limitations.

Having said all of that, I must admit it is often difficult to determine if land is private or public.
A fence makes the determination easy but there is not always a fence.

May a rare sighting make your day,

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E
E-mail:
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc