birding-aus

An experience to remember!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: An experience to remember!
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:56:56 +1000
Three of us were treated to memorable experience the other day, but I don't
know for sure what bird was responsible!

We were in somewhat open forest alongside a wide meandering creek when we
were startled, and I do mean startled, by the sound of what initially could
well have been a very large swarm of approaching insects, but a sound that
grew rapidly both in volume and intensity as it clearly approached us at
speed. Before we had time even to say what we were all thinking ("What on
earth is that!"), a tight flock of maybe 30 to 40 large-bodied pigeons
appeared through the trees close by, a little above head-height moving
rapidly and strongly through the open woodland, their collective wings all
the while producing an intense dynamic sound which continued to grow until
they passed us, dropping almost Dopler-like as they quickly disappeared from
our view.

These birds were packed into a very tight and compact unit, flying with
speed and purpose as they burst into and out of our consciousness, all in
the space of maybe ten seconds.

The dominant impression of colour was of a rich brown, maybe the underwing
of a bronzewing pigeon?

All we could say was "Wow!"

Well, we've got our guesses about the identity of the pigeons, but if anyone
out there has had the same experience, please share it with us - we want to
know more....

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056