birding-aus

Nightjars (& Swift Parrots)

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Nightjars (& Swift Parrots)
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:34:55 +1000
I think Richard Johnson is spot on about the status of White-throated
Nightjars in SE Qld.

>From February to April we had three White-throated Nightjars hawking over
the creek in front of the house every evening just on dusk. The last record
I have of them this year was 21st April. My query on birding-aus at the time
resulted not surprisingly in several people reporting sightings in and
around Brisbane even in July.

Michael Atzeni recently posted a comprehensive piece about the Swift Parrots
on the Toowoomba escarpment. They were still there up to 5 o'clock yesterday
afternoon when a party of around 20 were busily feeding on flowering gums in
the same local area that Michael described. We had 6 Swift Parrots here at
Abberton on 11 June, just flashing through, not stopping, and Ken McKeown
found another small party in the Lockyer Valley a few weeks ago. Other than
that, there have been good numbers in the trees at Queens Park in Warwick,
but I've heard of no other location in the immediate area where they have
been so regularly dependable as the party of up to around 40 birds that seem
to have settled into the location on the escarpment that Michael referred
to.

Birds that have been around here over the last couple of months that could
be described as predominantly winter visitors in the Lockyer Valley include:
Little Eagle, Swift Parrot, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Scarlet Robin,
Red-capped Robin, Rose Robin and Grey Fantail. I expect that more will come
to mind just as soon as I have posted this note!

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056