birding-aus

Birds of Darwin - Denise Goodfellow's response

To: Russell <>
Subject: Birds of Darwin - Denise Goodfellow's response
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:00:40 +1100
Good on yer Denise.  You've put it in perspective - not everything
published on birds should be aimed at the committed birder - we have to
target the interested but uninformed who need encouragement, not to become
committed birders but to understand and support the efforts of the CBs to
protect birds and bird habitats - to get as many people on side as possible.

From
Re the remarks on 'Birds of Darwin Mangroves and Mudflats' vs. 'Where to
Find Birds in the NT' passed on by Russell Woodford on 21/7:

I think the major aims of these publications are different.   'Where to
Find Birds in the NT' is for the  experienced Australian birder while
'Birds of Darwin Mangroves and Mudflats' was not produced merely to
direct people to birding spots, but to draw attention of both locals and
visitors (including international) to Top End mangroves, in the hope of
saving them.  However I do mention the best mangrove birding sites some
of which are not included in Donatello et al., reflecting I suspect, a
difference in perspective.

In my 18 year's experience as a guide I've discovered that birdwatchers
want to actually see birds, not just know that the weird chortling coming
from the dense mangroves out of reach across acres of deep (30 metres in
some spots), grey mud surrounding a large crocodile-infested estuary, is
a Chestnut Rail!  So I take people to spots where they stand the best
chance of seeing particular birds while remaining relatively safe.  And
these are the areas I mention in the book.

Charles Darwin NP had not been opened when 'Birds of Darwin Mangroves'
was launched.  But I've not found it particularly good for mangrove birds
because of the lack of access.  And I doubt it will ever be as good for
Chestnut Rail as the Stuart Park mangroves for various reasons.  Also the
hordes of biting midges (counts of 100 000 per carbon dioxide trap per
night I'm told by the Govt. entymologist) make it uncomfortable for some.

I didn't direct readers to the East Point boardwalk as the birds there
have never been particularly outstanding.  Also as I mentioned in the
book the area is not particularly safe.  I would reiterate that warning
here.  If you feel you must go there or to other relatively deserted
areas, take some company.

Sure 'Birds of Darwin Mangroves and Mudflats' is not perfect but what can
you expect given it was all done by one person (compared with ten or so
on the other publication) with a very limited budget (vs. the might of
CSIRO).  But then again this little book has sold ten times as well in
our bookshop as Donatello et al.  And in case anyone suspects that I'm
there waving copies in front of prospective customers or twisting their
arms, you're wrong.  I'm too busy at home painting the 500 individual
watercolours for the next bird book out later this year!

Regards
Denise

Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.