birding-aus

Bell Miners in the Capertee Valley

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Bell Miners in the Capertee Valley
From: David Geering <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:19:40 +1000
Carol

I had always regarded Bell Miners as very scarce in the Capertee Valley.
There is a small colony east of Glen Davis "behind" Mount Gundangaroo (the
table top mountain that you drive around to get to Glen Davis).  Colonies in
"Happy Valley" which is north of the Glen Davis Road and about 4km NE of the
township.  I also once recorded several birds near Coco Creek just off the
Capertee Road.  Haven't recorded these birds since 1997.

All of these colonies are in "wet gullies" tucked up into the cliff lines.
There is certainly little suitable habitat on the valley floor.  This is
perhaps the major limitation in regards my Bell Miner records - I tend to
concentrate my efforts where the Regent Honeyeaters are supposed to be.

Cheers

David Geering