birding-aus

Re: Virus

To: "Bird Chat Line" <>
Subject: Re: Virus
From: "Mitchener/Christie" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:05:31 +0930
It is all very well to suggest that we should all have virus checkers.  The trouble is, you need to have the latest and the greatest! I have been the victim of KAK.WORM - altho' I am not guilty of transmitting it to the chat line.
It is more insidious than Jon suggests.  It matters not if you use a signature or not.  The virus actually creates a signature and sets it up as a default - so every item that goes out has the infection attached.  It attaches itself to the email letter itself as opposed to any attachment. It is difficult to delete it without accidently opening it and so activating the virus.

To check if you have it - in outlook express - go to
tools.....options.......signature.  The signature that you haven't put there is 'it'.  A list of instructions on how to deal with it is on  ww.symantec.com

Good luck!  It took me a whole day - and the help of a computer literate friend - to purge my system!

It also blew my phone bill away as I rang everyone on the SA obp mailing list to tell them not to open my infected email message!

Maureen