birding-aus

*Re-habbers*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Re-habbers*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
G'day everyone,

I just saw a few strains of email on the subject of
bird re-habilatation and although I see some logic to
some form of registration, I wonder how this fits in
with the criteria at present being faced in South
Africa, with the massive amount of oiled sea birds?

I've re-habbed privately on my own, and released many
a few in my life, all at my own expense and time. It's
not the money cost as that means nothing to me now,
just making sure the info is out there for all who can
help and whom wish to help is now the urgency in my
life. Making 100 per cent sure you are giving out the
correct help info. This in it's self creates an even
bigger problem when we think of the different
languages and dialects spoken on this planet.

All the rehabber tries to do is nurse to health and
then return as best as possible after the recuperation
period into what we call the wild.

Should we really cast any blame whatsoever on those
that rehab in any form? or for that matter blame
anyone that tries to assist? yes we can scream out and
shout as we see something being done that harms birds,
but 99 per cent of the time it's done due to lack of
correct care info.

With respect to world wide government funded or even
sanctioned rehab centres? under circumstances such as
present being witnessed in South Africa now is NOT the
time to debate or change what we have.

It a clear case of all who can help then PLEASE do.

The present known oil removal techniques remove not
only the unwanted oil. Surely with a disaster of this
magnetude we should try everything.

I have tried the oxide and magnet removal method and
it works is all I am saying.

Good luck South Africa "God bless you all who help"

I am giving some thought to starting up a re-habbers
email list for info exchange only?

John A. Gamblin