birding-aus

Mornington Peninsula

To: Victoria Quinton <>
Subject: Mornington Peninsula
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:21:41 +1000
Hi Victoria,

I will be interested in what other people say about your request.

The places that I go on the peninsula include:

Braeside Wetlands

Good wetland birds as well as woodland birds, enter off Governor Road, at the moment there is a Magpie Goose that has been hanging around for a bit.

Edithvale Wetlands

When the bird hide is open this is a really good place to watch wetland birds. It is on Edithvale Road and the bird hide is open 1-5 PM Saturday and Sunday.

Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve

Good spot for forest birds including the largest remaining babbler colony on the peninsula, not that I have seen it. This is on McLelland Drive.

Moorooduc Quarry

In Mt Eliza, you probably know it, also good for woodland birds. Has a pair of nesting Peregrine Falcons that are great entertainment.

Devilbend Reservoir

This is good for car based bird watching. It is the best place I know of for Crested Grebes on the Peninsula. From the road that runs through the (starts with H and the Melways is out in the car) you can sometimes see a bittern, or at least you could in previous years.

I also usually check out the beaches on both sides of the Peninsula and tomorrow we are taking the ferry over to French Island to hopefully see Orange-bellied Parrots and other waders. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Stuart