birding-aus

Re: Peafowl

To: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Subject: Re: Peafowl
From: scouler <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:08:55 +1000

Hello Philip

The remark about Indian Peafowl being destructive to native species was based on personal comments to me by three
different NPWS rangers on Kangaroo Island. Apparently the IP pull the other birds' nests apart. I didn't ask why
they  indulge in such behaviour. HANZAB 3 p.374 notes that on Heron Island IP eat the chicks and eggs of Black
Noddies; but I assume that is because of the absence of an alternative food supply. Perhaps someone with experience
of peafowl on Kangaroo Island or elsewhere could comment further.

I think much of the problem with IPs on Kangaroo Island is that their numbers are out of control in some places.
This seems to be due to adaption to the habitat (Chris Baxter in his book "Birds of Kangaroo Island" (rev.ed 1995)
p.5 says they prefer farmland with remnant patches of bushland and also coastal scrubs and creeks with a dense
cover of tea-tree) and a lack of predators (there are no foxes on KI).

Regards
Colin Scouler

"Philip A. Veerman" wrote:

    That was an interesting comment "Peafowl: it is very destructive to the nests and eggs of native birds" I wonder whether you have
   some information on that. What other birds etc. Don't spend time on my enquiry, it is just curiosity, not a research topic.