birding-aus

Beautiful Firetail/Finch records

To: Russell <>
Subject: Beautiful Firetail/Finch records
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:34:25 +1100

Dear Birders

Going back through my records, the following turns up

5.9.93  Barren Grounds          1
18/6/94 Capertee Rockview               1
5.8.95  Capertee Valley Rockview        1
20.4.96 Barren Grounds          1
11.8.96 Barren Grounds          1
30.5.97 Goollooinboin Red Rock Ck       1

All tending to be autumn to winter sightings.

In addition, I am ashamed to say I wiped the records (by mistake) of these
finches near Bundanoon, Arthur Boyd's property on the Shoalhaven, when on a
Birds Atlassers weekend there some years ago - and I can't remember the
dates. Perhaps if John Carpenter or Dick Cooper read this, they can supply
the dates. Or Jill Warner who kept missing them!

 We found a flock of birds of all ages (10-16 ?) on the track leading to
Bundanon's main gate (about 5 metres up in a mistletoe bunch in trees
besides the track, and another small flock (6?) (both with immatures) in a
heathland area not far away, which were harrassing an antichinus trapped on
a small acacia and desparate to find cover.

I have a feeling this was not winter but Reg Clark was in a tent!

Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.