birding-aus

Yarra Bend Trip Report

To: <>
Subject: Yarra Bend Trip Report
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:45:43 +1000
Trip (Day) Report: Yarra Bend Park, Melbourne, walking track Kew Boathouse.
June 18 2000. Temperature: 15d and sunny.

I had a nice day down at Yarra Bend Park with my 2 year old son (on my
shoulders most of the time) - and despite winter the bird life was plentiful.
They've been putting a lot of effort into regenerating the natural environment
here - with extensive planting of Kangaroo Grass for example, and deliberate
burn-off. The trees were mainly Yellow Box, Yellow Gum, River Reds, a few Manna
(including a hybrid Manna - River Red), and a range of wattle.

Birds:

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Grey Shrike-thrush
Nankeen Night Heron
Brown Goshawk
Peregrine Falcon
White Plumed Honey-eater
Pied Cormorant
Maned Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Little Wattlebird
Red Wattlebird
Silver Gull
Moorhen
Silver Eye
Red-browed Firetail
Willie Wagtail
Rainbow Lorikeet (fast becoming abundant)
Musk Lorikeet
Red-rumpled Parrot
Eastern Rosella
Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Darter
Masked Lapwing
Laughing Kookaburra (heard not seen)
Welcome Swallow
Superb Fairy-wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Striated Thornbill
Australian Raven
Grey Currawong
Australian Magpie-lark
Australasian Grebe
Bell Miner
Noisy Miner
Pied Butcherbird

Song Thrush
Blackbird
Starling
House Sparrow
'Domestic' Geese
Muscovy Duck
Mallard
Rock Dove
Spotted Turtle-Dove
Common Myna

Other:
Domestic Dog (100+)
Mountain Bikes 50+ (mainly Avanti and Giant)
Birdwatchers (x3)

Tim Dolby
RMIT Publishing - RMIT University
(03) 9925 1662