birding-aus

Vegies with feble teeth and Swifties

Subject: Vegies with feble teeth and Swifties
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:27:54 EST

Lorne wrote

"What a 'limited' response."

Yeah right. At least I managed more than four words. This response from Lorne (be Lorne male, female or undescribed as yet), is just another peice of insignificant rubbish that invades the real birding news.

Lorne, I wonder of all those others who repeatedly say that the pastoralists, agriculturalists and other land managers have severely degraded our environment ever look at themselves as being a major contributor also. The growth of urbanism in todays society is quickly eating into bushland areas. And as a direct result plant poffy roses and vegie patches so that they can feed their vegetarian addictions.

Let's talk birds, the real meat of this system that we are all interested in.

So, as a reflection of these words, I shall kindly inform you all of an observation of Swift Parrots for Simon Kennedy.

I was travelling up to Bathurst Friday week ago, and nearing the quite town of West Wylong, I saw these birds fly across near Charcoal Tank, a top spot which I would like to spend more time in. The Ironbarks only had little blossom, but there seemed to be an abundance of lerp. Apparently this is what the Swifties were maily feeding on last year in the area.

Simon, I shall send the forms to you during the week. In Bendigo Monday and Tuesday, and shall be checking out the sites where Chris Tzaros and I found Swifties in abundance as you have come to know (Tunstalls, Daleynong etc.).

Buy the way, great Steak Sandwiches at the cafe near the tourist info centre. Recommended to everyone who passes through. Yeah, even you Lorne.

Cheers, and all the best whilst birding,

Dave