birding-aus

Report on Trip to Pink Lakes NP

To: <>
Subject: Report on Trip to Pink Lakes NP
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:03:22 +1000
G'day to all,

Last week a mate, John Pople, my fourteen year old son and a mate of his and I went for a trip to Pink Lakes National Park, North Western Victoria. The weather was mostly fine, allowing us to bask in warm sunshine though from time to time there was some cloud and at times a cold breeze blew. We got out just before the weather broke on Friday. The lakes shone pink, mauve and purple during the day, according to the light and cloud. They make a lovely picture. We enjoyed walking and driving around the tracks which wind between hills of thick mallee with triodia or Porcupine Grass clumps beneath them, around open green grassland with stands of Buloake Belah and Cypress-Pine. The Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, Bellbirds and Whistlers made the bush to ring with their calls. In the open country parrots such as Major Mitchell cockatoos, Mulga Parrots and Blue Bonnets could be seen. In the Mallee we picked up some of the special mallee birds such as Chestnut Quail-thrush, Southern Scrub-robin, Striated Grasswren and Mallee Emu-wren. There were quite a few raptors with a glimpse of a Black Falcon, and good sightings of Peregrines and Hobbys. At night we were entertained by calls of the Owlet-nightjar and Boobook Owl. The Boobooks visited us each night, as did a Tawny Frogmouth one evening. We saw about 80 species in all. A full list is attached.

Emu
Australian Shelduck
Australian Wood Duck
Grey Teal