birding-aus

Wrens in winter

To: <>
Subject: Wrens in winter
From: "Judy Caughley" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:50:10 +1000
Just back from a blustery walk that was a little longer than planned (how often does that happen!) through the peri-urban scrub east of Toowoomba (Qld) - good birding although the area is dominated by lantana and privet. Wrens were abundant and I was struggling to identify them since all the males were in eclipse plumage. But I noticed that some had a blue eye ring, some a cream eye ring and some the orange colour typical of females. Were the ones with a blue eye ring male variegated wrens in eclipse plumage? Those with the cream eye ring male red-backed wrens? And the last group male superb wrens? All three species are normally present in this habitat and if the eye ring colour is diagnostic, identifying them in winter will be a lot simpler for me in the future.
A nice highlight was 2 brown cuckoo doves quietly sitting next to another and close to the track so I could really see the difference between the male and female.
Cheers
Judy