birding-aus

Re: splits and lumps

To: Bob Forsyth <>, Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Re: splits and lumps
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:52:06 +1000
> It is not impossible that they did not even know of the bird.The
> people at our Kalkadoon Tribal Keeping Place did not know of it.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from these observations.  The
evidence from other parts of Australia is that Aborigines knew the fauna
very well, and generally speaking their taxonomy agreed in large part
with ours, though the concept of ultrataxa was something they adopted
long before us!  Other evidence of later years also suggests that this
indigenous ecological knowledge begins to fade rather quickly after the
people come off the land.

> Boles). Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, Qld ps,Australian Aboriginal
> Studies No.2 "The Kalkatunga Language: A Brief Description"as a matter
> of interest includedPlains Turkey, Jackass, Kingfisher, Bush Turkey,
> Budgerigar,Willie Wagtail, Whistler Duck, Curlew, Flock Pigeon,
> Mopoke, Corella,Shag, Eagle, Black Duck, Wood Duck, Galah, Water Hen,
> Scrub TurkeySpoonbill, Dotterell, Wild Turkey, Kingfisher, Brown
> Pigeon, Crane, Pelican,Eaglehawk, Plumed Pigeon, Emu, Crow, Brolga but
> alas no wrens.

Works of this kind also tend to reflect ecological shortcomings on the
part of European anthropologists and ethnologists who compiled them -
thus masking or overlooking much detailed local knowledge of the biota.
Look at the list - it's roughly analogous to what you'd expect any
non-birder to be able to recognise.

Things are not always as obvious as they might appear!

.... and not being from your area I find the name Kalkadoon Grasswren
much more evocative of the country than either Hortons, Selwyn,
Carpentarian or Eyrean Gw - but then that's just my opinion.  ;-)

L.

--
LAWRIE CONOLE

Home page:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/