birding-aus

Re: splits and lumps

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: splits and lumps
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:33:49 +1000
G'day all,

I have a few comments re Recommended English Names for the Splits.

Andrew Stafford in part wrote:-
> " . . . Many hardened twitchers have already gone after the "new" grasswrens,
> Short-tailed Grasswren (Flinders Ranges form of Striated) and
> Kalkadoon  Grasswren  (Queensland form of Dusky).
>There is no doubt there will be changes when the next "official" list comes out and
> much of Schodde's work is likely to be accepted. . ."

I enjoy reading 'The Directory of Australian Birds. . Passerines" by Richard Schodde and Ian Mason. They have done a marvellous job.
And so soon after their 1997 "Aves" (Columbidae to Coraciidae) volume.
The information on races has opened up broader horizons for me.
We now must await even more detailed Field Guides to help identify some of the races.

But I would like to raise the question who should approve the REN (Recommended English Name) for the new splits.
Ornithologists use the scientific names, but birdwatchers mainly use the REN's.
Back in June 1993, the RAOU in Wingspan No.10 opened up discussion requesting input from interested parties regarding REN's for a new checklist to replace the one in use since 1977.(See Emu 77:5)

Summaries of replies and comment continued in Wingspans No's 11, 12, 13, & 14.and were formalised in the RAOU Monograph No.2  i.e. "The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories" by Leslie Christides and Walter Boles" (See pages 4 & 5)

Hugo Phillips from Birds Australia said in part:-
". . There will be an updated version of Christidis & Boles coming out sometime - maybe late this year . . "

I would much prefer our local race of the Dusky Grasswren to be known in the future as either
- Horton's Gw (Slaters' Field Guide already calls it Horton's form after Bill and Helen who "discovered it")
     or
- Selwyn  Gw (it is generally found in the Selwyn Ranges and this would be similiar practice as was adopted for both the Carpentarian and Eyrean Grasswrens.

The name "Kalkadoon" has no appeal for me whatsoever !

The bird does not seem to have any special significance to the Kalkadoon tribe of aborigines whereas the Emu did.
.
The bird sticks to steep rock and spinifex covered hills now only rarely climbed by intrepid birdo's and likely just as rarely by the Kalkadoon aboriginals.

It is not impossible that they did not even know of the bird.
The people at our Kalkadoon Tribal Keeping Place did not know of it.

I hope Birds Australia give us Birdo's  the opportunity again to offer our preferences for the REN's (Recommended English Names) for the new splits (if they are adopted by Messrs Christidis and Boles).

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, Qld

ps,
Australian Aboriginal Studies No.2 "The Kalkatunga Language: A Brief Description"
as a matter of interest included
Plains Turkey, Jackass, Kingfisher, Bush Turkey, Budgerigar,
Willie Wagtail, Whistler Duck, Curlew, Flock Pigeon, Mopoke, Corella,
Shag, Eagle, Black Duck, Wood Duck, Galah, Water Hen, Scrub Turkey
Spoonbill, Dotterell, Wild Turkey, Kingfisher, Brown Pigeon, Crane, Pelican,
Eaglehawk, Plumed Pigeon, Emu, Crow, Brolga
but alas no wrens.

pps
Why wasn't the Directory printed the same size as the Hanzab's ?
I can not fit it in the bookshelf next to them !