birding-aus

Torres Strait

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Torres Strait
From: roger coles <>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:56:46 +1000
Dear Phil

Good to see some interest in the fauna of the Torres Strait. Although I'm
interested in the birds of this region and Australia in general, most of my
research work concerns bats. $370 for a round trip seems cheap so I assume
it is for seat on a charter; accomm seems awfully cheap as well. Presumably
you know its very windy at the time you have chosen and this may detract
from bird finding. Certainly windy conditions make bat observing and
trapping very difficult and I am beginning to see the seasonal factors up
here.

If you make Thursday Island please drop in for a chat but it looks like
your itinerary is a tight one. I have a boat which of course makes island
visits for bird and bat work extremely easy, weather permitting.

Regards Roger

Dr Roger Coles
Centre for Indigenous Health
The University of Queensland