birding-aus

ostriches

To: "Lorna Bloom" <>, "Peter Woodall" <>
Subject: ostriches
From: "Ian Clark" <>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 18:48:11 +1000

http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
>"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

While not knowing a lot about ostriches, feral colonies did exist in
Australia    There would still  be some feral birds around
Not being  a native bird  I dont think they would have received protection
against being exported  or trapped
 My feeling would be  there would have been birds available from Australia
for export
with the crazy prices like up too $ 100,000  for breeding pair  and $2000
for an egg  payed   in the last 10-15 years  most   feral birds would   have
been trapped ,  but as the industry crashed again  interest in them  would
also have crashed I guess the question is  whether  60 years ago    any
Americans were looking to bring any animals across from Australia  , Im sure
they would have  cheers Ian

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"