birding-aus

ostriches

To: <>
Subject: ostriches
From: "Lorna Bloom" <>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 16:34:51 +1000
Have ostriches ever been exported to America?
I'm reading a novel which tells of a family who imported ostriches from Australia and lost their fortune trying to farm them in America in the 1940's.  I'm sure the author meant to say from South Africa and not Australia.
It's hard to believe he never researched this book thoroughly before writing it, so I thought I better make sure he was wrong before I write him a letter pointing out his mistake.
Cheers
Lorna