birding-aus

Myna or Mynah

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Myna or Mynah
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:19:32 -0700
Hello all,
    On the subject of Common Mynas:
(note the spelling; All my field guides from Slater, 1974, onwards use this form. Also, the RAOU Monograph 'The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories', 1994 adopts this form.)

The first sighting of Common Myna in my local area (my street or backyard) was of a single bird on 22/9/1996.
That was a particularly windy day. A very strong southerly was blowing and this bird may have travelled on the wind from Brisbane a few ks away across the bay. I had been seeing them in the northern suburbs of Brisbane for a couple of years prior to this.
The next was of 2 birds on 31/10/1997

Sightings have become increasingly common and now I see them every day in my backyard!
At least, every day since 6/2/2000.
Lately there has been a 'gang' of 7 to 8.

They do seem to be making life difficult for the Spotted Turtle-Doves; ironical really!

Common Mynas even featured in the background on a recent Burke's Backyard episode made in Sydney!

Bob Inglis
Woody Point, SEQld
which is actually at 27 deg 15 min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E !!
My typing finger made the mistake in the last posting not my el-cheapo Magellan Pioneer GPS unit.