birding-aus

Striped Honeyeaters & Grey Butcherbirds

To: "mayalex" <>
Subject: Striped Honeyeaters & Grey Butcherbirds
From: "J G KROHN" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:55:30 +1000
Ian (and all),

I was interested in your comments on the observed relationship between Striped Honeyeaters and Grey Butcherbirds.  I was very pleased to find a pair of Striped Honeyeaters at Gluepot last September, as I do not spend much time within that species' range, and had not seen one for some years.  As I watched, the birds came under steady harassment from a single Grey Butcherbird which chased them through the foliage of the Belah tree they were occupying.  They were reluctant to leave the tree; as I recall they were still there when I moved on due to limited time.  I didn't search for a nest, but that might have been their reason for (apparently) not wanting to leave the tree.  However, there was only one Grey Butcherbird as far as I could see, and no indication that it might have been nesting nearby.  We did see several other Grey Butcherbirds around the property during the couple of days we were there.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn