birding-aus

borderline atlassing

Subject: borderline atlassing
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:07:14 +1000
I was out atlassing along the border fence from the Boonah Border Gate
to Wilsons Pk - The most interesting observation, not far from a pair of
red shouldered wallabies, was a pair of female southern emu wrens - the
first SEUs I can remember seeing in Qld [albeit by 5m] and certainly the
first I've seen on a mountain range [in a schlerophyll/casaurina
woodland/forest with 1m high bracken ferns at ~ 800m altitude].  Pizzey
and Knight don't mention SEUs in the Macpherson Range, though they do
mention the Gibralter Range which would be similar to the MR.

Other than that, I caused chorus interruptus for 2-3 albert's lyrebird
who were having a corroboree in a steep mixed rainforest/schlerophyll.

Plenty of satin bowerbirds round the Head Rd Border Gate [now a grid],
then a long road walk back to the car [got back half an hour after dark
- flushed some sort of rail along the way - I got the impression of
white round the face and its legs hung down in flight, but that was all
I could make out in the twilight].

Regards, Laurie.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"