birding-aus

"Bad" birds, no such thing

To: Jeffrey Amess <>, Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: "Bad" birds, no such thing
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:08:26 +1000
Jeffrey Amess wrote:

> Perhaps after the destruction of the Common Myna, "considered globally to be a
> very successful coloniser", there will be campaigns to eradicate species such
> as the Common Starling, House and Tree Sparrow, The two Goldfinches,
> Blackbird, Cattle Egret, House Crow (a wiry foe), Ostrich, Spotted and
> Laughing Dove, Feral Pigeon, and I suspect a lot more, oh and then we can
> start on those mammalian invaders who destroy avian habitat, humans first.
> There is no doubt that ALL invasive species will affect the endemic population
> in one way or another and thus introduce some healthy competition
> for environmental space,

Excuse me?  Healthy competition for environmental space???!!!  Sorry, I can't
swallow that as part of ANY paradigm shift.  Common Mynas are not competing
healthily for surplus niche space, they're playing dirty pool, and they're
occupying space which threatened species need for survival.

> Common Myna tends not to invade the rural areas as they like to stay close to
> large human populations

Not true.  Common Mynas are colonising country Victoria at a steady rate, and I
imagine they're doing likewise in other states.  Radiating out along major roads
and minor roads, CMs are well on their way to occupying most of the Garden State
in the next 10-15 years or sooner.  It's not uncommon to see them on roadsides a
long way from towns, and often a farmhouse will have a small cluster around it.

I'm not naive enough to think that Common Mynas, or any of the other ferals, can
be eradicated in any easy fashion - but I'm damned if I'm going to sit back and
smile on them as they eradicate the few remaining woodland birds from degraded
areas throughout the state.

> Good luck at your paradigm shift, Jeff.

Better get to work on yours too ....

L.