birding-aus

"Bad" birds, no such thing

Subject: "Bad" birds, no such thing
From: Jeffrey Amess <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:18:32 +1000 (GMT+1000)
I find it hard to understand the labelling of ANY of our avian population as
good, bad or indifferent, there must of course be a basis. But to then plan
the eradication of the disliked species ad hoc seems to be a plan which is
hatched in some fools paradise, where ALL so called "feral" "alien"
"invasive" species must be destroyed as to return the environment to its so
called "endemic" ideal population. I think that there should be a definition
as to what constitutes an "endemic" species, how long must a species be
resident before being considered as belonging?  Perhaps after the
destruction of the Common Myna, "considered globally to be a very successful
coloniser", there will be campaigns to eradicate species such as the Common
Starling, House and Tree Sparrow, The two Goldfinches, Blackbird, Cattle
Egret, House Crow (a wiry foe), Ostrich, Spotted and Laughing Dove, Feral
Pigeon, and I suspect a lot more, oh and then we can start on those
mammalian invaders who destroy avian habitat, humans first.
There is no doubt that ALL invasive species will affect the endemic
population in one way or another and thus introduce some healthy competition
for environmental space, the subject Common Myna tends not to invade the
rural areas as they like to stay close to large human populations, so if
they are in your area, twitch them and study them, they have some great
behaviour, just live with them as they are here to stay.
Good luck at your paradigm shift, Jeff.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"