birding-aus

Glossy Black-Cockatoo

To: "Brian Everingham" <>
Subject: Glossy Black-Cockatoo
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 01:03:16 +1100
Hi Brian,

It's great to read of your sighting of two Glossy Black-Cockatoos near
Evans Lookout (Blue Mountains NSW). They have been seen in that area in the
past and it's good to know they were there again.

I agree with your comments. The Blue Mountains Bird Observers generally
report Glossies every month from a few regular locations. In this area
their main food plants are Allocasuarina littoralis, A. torulosa and A.
distyla. What I have found interesting is that some individual plants are
favoured while others nearby remain untouched, even though they bear seed
cones.

We recently saw a group of seven Glossies at a favourite site near
Wentworth Falls - that's about the largest group I've seen here in the
mountains, though I have heard unconfirmed reports of larger flocks. In the
same area I see flocks of up to 100 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, probably
feeding on Banksia, Hakea and Callitris seeds.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW

-------
At 6:14 AM +1000 9/4/00, Brian Everingham wrote:
>Hi all
>Given their rarity I should report that my party of bushwalkers saw two
>Glossy Black Cockatoos on the ridge line below Evans LO at Blackheath in the
>Blue Mountains yesterday. We had just emerged from a stand of Grey Gum and I
>heard them. They flew past and when we got to the point where they were
>feeding  and we were not surprised to see two small allocasuarinas in a
>drier strip of the ridge, with seed cones stripped and scattered around the
>ground.
>These birds are seen regularly in the Blue Mountains. I have seen them on
>Mount Solitary and along Breakfast Creek before. However they rarely seem to
>be in large flocks like the Yellow Tailed Black Cocktaoo and I have only
>ever seen them feeding on allocasuarinas. They must vary their diet some way
>but this is the limit of my obversations in the Blue Mountains at least.
>The rest of the day was devoted to walking. It was a grey sky and dreadful
>light and I was not carrying binoculars. However the Gang Gang Cockatoos are
>around as well ...and there were lots of various unidentified honeyeaters
>moving through.
>Brian Everingham

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"