birding-aus

Birding Magazines

Subject: Birding Magazines
From: stuart dashper <>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 09:42:56 +1000
Dear All,

Wingspan, which are quite valid, there are other Australian publications
available that may cover the topics of identification, recent sightings,
taxonomy, recent trip reports etc in a more in depth manner. Personally I
enjoy reading Wingspan as it suits my interests in birding.

Australian Birding Magazine edited by Margaret Cameron  has published many
articles on identification of closely related species, recent sightings of
rarities, Australian and overseas trip reports and would be a good forum
for the publication of recent taxonomic research.

The Birdwatcher published by BOC also carries articles on identification
and recent sightings of interest.

There is room in the Australian birding scene for a diversity of
publications covering different interests and all these publications should
be supported (and contributed to) by Australian birders.
I have no financial interest in any of these publications.

Cheers
Stuart Dashper

Am I alone in thinking it is unfortuanate that each issue of Wingspan reads
more like a promotional brochure for conservation projects, and does not
make much of an attempt to keep birders up with such mundane things as
research results?  They are preaching to the converted, after all.  To take
an example; in the past people have commented on birding-aus how Wingspan
is no longer prepared to publish identification articles.  Also, off the
cuff I don't recall any detailed discussion in it about the so called
interim albatross taxonomy, surely a scientific issue of interest to the
members.

Just as well we have birding-aus, for all its warts.

Murray Lord
Sydney

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"