birding-aus

Hoax [was: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Fw: warning]

To: "Annabel Ashworth/Hoskins" <>
Subject: Hoax [was: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Fw: warning]
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:42:10 +1000
>From http://www.stiller.com/budsaver.htm :

Budweiser Frogs (Budsaver) Hoax

This hoax has been circulating for at least four months and we have
hesitated to place a warning about this hoax on our hoax list because
it was but one of a number of very similar hoaxes. Recently, we have
gotten an increase in questions about his hoax. Here is the typical
text from this hoax:

     "THIS IS A NEW TWIST.  Someone is sending out a very desirable
     screen-saver  the Budweiser Frogs.  But if you download it,
     you will lose  everything!!!  Your hard drive will crash!!!

     DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
     IT JUST WENT INTO CIRCULATION YESTERDAY, AS FAR AS WE
     KNOW....BECAREFUL.
     PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE
     ...THANX BELOW

Note the typical use of (excessive) capital letters and the request
to "DISTRIBUTE THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE". (These symptoms
should immediately warn you that this is likely to be a hoax.) The
above warning is a hoax. Please do not forward it, but.....there are
some points you should understand:

* Any program could contain a trojan or a virus. The Bud screen saver
  could easily become infected or a version could be uploaded which
  is a trojan. Just because this is a hoax, do not assume that this
  file is automatically safe.

* Sometimes there are well meaning (but misguided) warnings to avoid
  some file which is a trojan or virus infected. They may be legitimate
  but it's of dubious value to spread warnings like this. The specific
  location of the file (ftp site, Usenet posting, etc) should be mentioned.
  It is of little value to avoid a file based on its name or even its size.

* There are a large number of very similar hoaxes. These hoaxes all:
    1.  Suggest you avoid a file with some specific name and
    2.  Suggest you "forward to all your friends" and
    3.  Do not provide a link to a site (such as this one) where some
        authority can provide details about the threat.

   Paul Taylor                                  Veni, vidi, tici -
                           I came, I saw, I ticked.