birding-aus

Gang Gang Cockatoos

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>, "Ian Fraser" <>
Subject: Gang Gang Cockatoos
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:26:54 +1000
To put Russell's question on Ian's observation in context, Gang Gang Cockatoos are a common species almost throughout Canberra. Over 17 years of GBS data, they rank as 24th most often reported species (out of a total of 216 species). Also at this time of year they are increasing here. I suspect that Russell may have missed the point that Ian writes from Canberra, as he asks about seeing these birds in places they are not usually seen and asks is anyone else having that experience.

When I was a primary school age (1962 to 1968) and lived in Eltham (outer Melbourne), the GGC always came to eat the Walnuts we had in our yard (our house is now the Diamond Creek Community Centre), when the seeds were ripe.