birding-aus

Tolderol and Lake Alexandrina

Subject: Tolderol and Lake Alexandrina
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:11:46 +0900
On Monday 3/4/00 myself and two others visited Tolderol Game Reserve and
then toured the northern edges of Lake Alexandrina. Weather was clear and
sunny - almost too warm for us southerners.
The ducks still haven't returned except for some Shelduck, but some of the
waders are still about. The ones we saw were being harassed by a Black
Falcon, which was a nuisance because they spent most of the time flying
madly about the place - we almost hoped the falcon could get a strike and
let the rest settle down, but that didn't happen. I'll avoid listing out
the whole total but the best birds (for us) were Lewin's Rail (4), Spotless
Crake ( 5 ), White-winged Black Tern ( 6 ), Wood Sandpiper  ( 10
),Long-toed Stint ( 1 ), Blue-winged Parrot ( 1 ), and as mentioned, the
Black Falcon.  Among the waders still present we saw Sharp-tailed, Curlew
and Common Sandpipers, Red-necked Stints, Red-capped Dotterels, and we
think the Double-banded Plovers were still there but with all the frantic
flying about it was impossible to get a proper look. We noted some 56
species in all.

Oddly enough, two other people on the day before found five Pectoral
Sandpipers at Tolderol, but then they missed the Long-toed Stint, so I
guess that's fair.

Later on around the lake we noted that there were very few Cape Barren
Geese in the usual place between Milang and Clayton, but we did find some
early returned Cattle Egrets near Milang.

Happy birding, people.
Tony.
Tony Russell,
  Adelaide, South Australia
  phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
  e-mail:
  There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"