birding-aus

Re:Interesting birds at Mason Park Wetlands

To: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Subject: Re:Interesting birds at Mason Park Wetlands
From: Chris Shinton <>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:19:06 +1000
Hi Andy and Birding-ausers
I've birded regularly at Mason Park for some years and have not seen or heard of a Diamond Firetail in the locality. It may well be an escapee - there is a house on the opposite side of the canal to the wetlands with a garden aviary of native birds and this could be the source.
I also saw a Sacred Kingfisher in my back garden in nearby Concord on 29/3/00, feeding on skinks. It was a great sighting - the bird stayed for more than 30 minutes, perching on the Hills Hoist and the garden furniture, and defending itself very vigorously against a resentful Noisy Miner.
The nearest mangroves are about 2 kilometres away, where I have seen this species regularly for the past couple of months.

Cheers
Chris Shinton.

Andy Burton's Bush Tours wrote:

................However a visit to Mason Park, a wetland adjoining the Olympic Games site at Homebush Bay saw things improve a little. Of particular interest was a Diamond Firetail seen in an area of weeds in which Fennel Foeniculum vulgare  was prevalent. This lone bird might be assumed to be an escapee but does anyone have any other ideas. Other species of interest here included a Sacred Kingfisher, this being either a late departing migrant or perhaps an overwintering bird. Overwintering Sacred Kingfishers in Sydney tend to be found in mangroves and this one was seen near mangroves.