birding-aus

Victoria trip

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Victoria trip
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:50:08 +1030
Hi all,

Though probably over 50% of all birding-aus subscribers are Victorians, whom I am not telling anything new I presume, I thought I'd share with you some of the (for me) more interesting birds I saw during a recent trip through Victoria. These include:
Blue-billed Ducks at Lake Wendouree, Ballarat (no little bitterns there was some festival going on on the lake shore)
Bell Miners in Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens
Superb Lyrebirds in different locations around Mt Donna Buang in Yarra Nat'l Park (beautiful area)
Spotless Crake in the pouring rain in McLeod Morass near Bairnsdale (good wetland for rails etc. with boardwalks & observation hide)
Pilotbird Mt Elizabeth State Forest (we stopped at one of the hairpin bends on the road from Bruthen to Omeo in the forest and found it, also Bell Miners here)
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, Red-browed Treecreeper, and Turquoise Parrot in Chiltern NP (Honeyeater picknick area and surroundings)
Dipped Superb Parrot at Barmah Forest, they apparently leave their breeding grounds in autumn.
On a related matter, when driving to Bairnsdale (from the West) in the Gippsland area I noticed over a stretch of 10-20 km all roadside gum trees are dead or dying. This dieback only seemed to affect one species that looked like some kind of Redgum to me, and it must have been going on for quite a few years. It affects young and old trees alike, and extends into roadside vegetatation on side roads and in paddocks.
Does anyone know what's going on here? It looks pretty disastrous, and it doesn't seem that anything is being done about it?!?
Cheers

Peter Waanders

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.